Lower School Science Specialist
Position Begins: August 2018
Do you want to help elementary school students fall in love with science? Are you eager to design hands-on discovery experiences for children? Is working collaboratively with other teachers important to you?
Presbyterian School is seeking an experienced, passionate professional to join our Lower School team as a Science Specialist. A qualified candidate will enjoy the elementary aged child and be able to create an exciting, hands-on classroom environment using student-centered learning that fosters creativity, critical thinking and problem-solving. The ability to craft a meaningful, developmentally targeted curriculum in collaboration with school leaders is required. Familiarity with the resources in the Museum District is expected.
Teachers at Presbyterian School value collaboration with colleagues and exploring instruction that crosses subject lines. Contributing to the school community beyond the classroom is expected. A successful candidate will exhibit strong character and will commit to supporting the mission, programs and policies of Presbyterian School.
- Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education, Science Education, Museum Education or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Teaching experience in a selective independent or public school setting
- Deep understanding of the elementary aged learner
- Warm sense of humor
- Skill to effectively communicate with colleagues, parents and students
- Willingness to embrace new paradigms of student learning
- Ability to meaningfully employ the iPad in teaching and learning
- Demonstrated commitment to professional growth
Presbyterian School seeks to attract qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds to its faculty, staff and student body who are able to support and further the mission of the school. Accordingly, all positions on the faculty and administrative staff will be filled solely on the basis of merit and without reference to the applicant's age, sex, disability, ethnic or national origin. In light of the school's religious nature, it does reserve the right to consider an applicant's or employee's religious beliefs and practices in employment decisions.